A spring snow storm is upon us, and while it would be easy to get upset about the weather, I’ve decided instead to just go with the flow. I’ve got a big pot of my favorite chili bubbling away on the stove and a pan of One-Bowl Brownies cooling on the counter. I can’t think of a better way to perk up a dreary day than chili and brownies!
This recipe is amazingly easy and quick to make. But even if it wasn’t, it would still be my go-to brownie recipe. It’s brownie perfection all in one bowl!
These brownies are what all brownies should be: the ideal mix of chewy, fudgy, and nutty. Best of all, they basically frost themselves — all you have to do is melt chocolate chips on top, spread, and sprinkle on some chopped nuts!
I’m a little embarrassed to admit I’ve made these brownies so often I have the recipe memorized. I hope you’ll like these squares of chocolaty goodness as much as I do, and before long you’ll know the recipe by heart, too!
Makes 16 Brownies
- Heat oven to 350 F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil, or spray with cooking spray.
- Combine 1 cup of the chocolate chips (1/2 the bag) and butter in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl. (I use a two-quart glass Pyrex measuring bowl.) Microwave on high for 1 minute. Whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in sugar, then eggs. Stir in flour and salt until smooth. Fold in vanilla and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 23 to 25 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and sprinkle remaining 1 cup chocolate chips over brownies; return to the oven for 2 minutes to melt the chocolate.
- Remove pan from oven and spread melted chocolate chips over brownies until smooth, to form a frosting.
- Top frosting with remaining 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts. Refrigerate for 20 minutes to firm chocolate, then cut into squares. Store at room temperature.