Buttery pears, fat walnuts, and rich sour cream. Is your mouth watering yet? Then you need to make this amazing walnut pear sour cream coffee cake!
The warm and comforting tastes of autumn burst from this tender, moist, golden cake. Tucked inside, you’ll find lovely autumn pears along with an inner swirl of butter, walnuts, and cinnamon.
This moist and flavorful walnut pear sour cream coffee cake, with its rich nutty topping, tastes great as a morning treat, an afternoon snack, or dessert. For an extra treat, add a dollop of whipped cream.
Company coming for Thanksgiving? Think about serving this amazing cake to your guests–they’ll love it!
P.S. If you really love coffee cake, and I know you do, try my Super Moist Sour Cream Coffee Cake recipe, too! It’s very similar to this recipe (minus the pears), but it makes a nice big pan, so it’s perfect for when you have a house-full of people!
Autumn Walnut Pear Sour Cream Coffee Cake
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 cold cup butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 medium pears, peeled cored, and sliced (you can use one of these to make the job easier)
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter at room temperature or softened
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sour cream
Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts for an extra nutty topping
Optional topping: whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease or spray a 9 x 9 baking dish (or a 9″ round spring form pan).
- In a medium bowl, combine the 1 cup walnuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon. This is the filling. Transfer 3/4 cup of this mixture to another bowl to make the topping.
- Add the 1/4 cup butter and 1/3 cup flour to the topping mixture to make coarse crumbs. This is the topping.
- Toss the sliced pears with the lemon juice and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the 1 3/4 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the 1/2 cup butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Spread 2/3 of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the reserved nut mixture/filling. Layer the pears over the filling. Gently spread the rest of the batter over the pears. Sprinkle with the topping. If desired, sprinkle an additional 1/2 cup chopped walnuts on top.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on rack for at least an hour. (If using a spring form pan, remove the sides of the pan after 10 minutes.)
- Serve warm with whipped cream if desired.
Enjoy! xo jane